MIRAPAKAYA BAJJI WITH STUFFED ANDHRA MASALA | CHILLI BAJJI
A popular street food snack recipe made using stuffed green chillies and deep fried in oil.
Recipe type: Indian Snacks
Cuisine: South Indian
- 6-7 Long thick green chillies
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- salt – to taste
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
For the besan batter:
- 6 tbsp besan/chick pea flour/senaga pindi
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- salt – to taste
- a pinch of baking soda
- ¼ tsp ajwain/vaamu(carom seeds)
- ¾th tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- ½ tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp oil
Step 1(Boil, slit and deseed the chillies):
- In a vessel, add some water to boil, add green chillies and blanch them in water for about a minute.
- Doing so takes away the hot and spiciness of the chillies and the bajji can be eaten along with the chilli.
- After boiling slit the chilli vertically leaving the corner edges of the chilli.
- Do not slit the entire chilli, just slit vertically the centre part of the chilli.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli completely.
- In a bowl, add tamarind paste, salt as per taste, roasted cumin seeds powder, chaat masala powder and mix all the ingredients well.
- Take each chilli and stuff this paste into all the chillies and put them aside.
Step 3(Making the batter):
- In a bowl, add besan, rice flour, salt, baking soda, ajwain and mix all these.
- Into it add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, ginger garlic paste, oil and mix it well.
- Add water and make a batter with a consistency neither too thick nor too liquid.
- The batter should be mixed well without any lumps in it.
Step 4(Dipping and deep frying):
- Heat oil in a wok for deep frying.
- Take each stuffed chilli, dip the stuffed chilli into the batter.
- Take the dipped chilli and drop it in oil.
- Similarly dip and drop the rest of the chillies too.
- Fry them on low to medium flame until they turn golden brown on all sides.
- Take them out on an absorbent paper.
- Take each fried chilli bajji, take a knife and give a small slit to the fried chilli.
- Stuff the slit part with very finely chopped onions and coriander leaves.
- Similarly garnish the rest of the fried chillies.
- Sprinkle chaat masala powder generously all over the mirchi bajji.
- Finally, serve them hot with any chutney!!!