A traditional and famous chicken curry recipe from Andhra Cuisine…
Recipe type: Main
- 500 gms chicken cleaned and washed well
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 – 4 vertically slit green chillies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds(dhaniya seeds)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
- 3-4 black pepper corns
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds(khus khus)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup yogurt/curd
- Firstly, take a griddle or tawa, heat it add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, black pepper corns, cardamoms, dry roast all the ingredients for few minutes.
- Transfer them in a bowl.
- On the same griddle dry roast poppy seeds(khus-khus) for few seconds and allow it to cool.
- In a blender, add all the roasted ingredients along with poppy seeds and blend it into powdered form and rest it aside for later use.
- In a cooking vessel, add oil, add the sliced onions, add slit green chillies and saute slightly till the onions get transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and roast it until a change in color appears.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add the roasted and blended powder into the curry.
- Stir and cook for about 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add beaten yogurt, stir and cook until chicken gets tender.
- Add little water if the gravy is too thick(optional).
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.